The medium-chain fatty acids in the coconut milk will keep you going for a long time! The flax seed meal adds fiber and lots of other good things, but you could also add fiber in the form of "Benefiber" or some similar preparation, or skip it (though I think part of the reason the shake is so satisfying is the fiber).
Note: if you want a lighter shake, such as for a snack, you can substitute unsweetened almond milk, soy milk, or the coconut milk in cartons. This would lower both the carb and calorie counts, and could be used as a substantial snack or smaller meal.
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (the kind in cans)
- 1 scoop low carb protein powder (I used "Designer Protein" for my calculations), vanilla or plain
- 1/3 cup frozen berries (I used strawberries for the analysis)
- 2 Tablespoons Flax Seed Meal (or see above)
- 1/2 - 1 cup water (less if you want it thicker)
- Sweetener to taste (I like to use liquid forms of Splenda - no carbs
PreparationPut everything in the blender and whiz it together.
Nutritional Information: Each serving has 11 grams effective carbohydrate plus 6 grams fiber, 24 grams protein, and 429 calories.